It’s getting colder outside so it’s time to get toastie with toasties! Try this delish mushroom, garlic, red onion and Jarlsberg cheese toastie – made with your fave plant based Nuttelex – it’s the perfect midweek munch! For a scrumptious vegan-take use Vegan Gouda flavour cheese.
This recipe makes 2 x toasties:
2 tbsp Nuttelex
1 tsp olive oil
3 cloves garlic minced
½ small red onion peeled and finely chopped
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 pinch freshly cracked black pepper
250 g mushrooms sliced
1 pinch salt
4 slices of your favourite bread
6 slices jarlsberg cheese (or vegan Gouda alternative)
¼ cup fresh coriander, finely chopped (optional)
1) Use 1 tbsp Nuttelex to butter each piece of bread on one side.
2) Warm the olive oil and remaining 1 tbsp Nuttelex in a large pan over a low heat. Add the garlic, onions, cayenne and black pepper. Saute for about 5 minutes until the colour deepens, and onions are soft.
3) Turn up the heat, add the mushrooms. Fry for 2-3 minutes until just beginning to brown on both sides. Taste and add a little salt, if needed. Tip into a bowl and set aside.
4) If needed add ad extra dollop of Nuttelex before placing the first two slices of bread in the pan, Nuttelex side down. Use half the cheese to top each slice of bread. Layer the mushrooms on top and sprinkle with coriander. Layer on the remaining cheese. Top each toastie with the remaining slices of bread, Nuttelex side up. Put a lid on the pan to help the heat to reach the cheese.
5) Flip the toasties when they’re golden underneath and replace the lid again. When the bread is golden on both sides and the cheese is melted, remove from the pan, cut in half, and serve.
Up your toastie game with this pan-fried vegetarian wonder.
1-2 tbs olive oil (plus an extra splash for frying)
1 cup yogurt (Greek or your fave vegan option)
1 bunch coriander, chopped roughly
1) Spread your fave plant-based Nuttelex on one side of each slice of the sourdough.
2) To make the chutney add the coriander (stems and half of the leaves), chilli (seeds discarded unless you prefer it extra spicy), lime juice, sugar and salt into a food processor. Process on high, slowly add the olive oil until it is combined and semi-thick and spreadable.
3) Next, take the remaining half bunch of chopped coriander leaves and mix them into the yogurt with the diced red onion and a pinch of black pepper. Then set aside.
4) Spoon the yogurt mixture on 1 side of the bread and then spread the chutney on the other side, then combine both sides together to make sandwich. Repeat with other bread and ingredients.
5) Preheat the fry-pan adding 1 tablespoon of Nuttelex and a splash of olive oil, then when nuttelex has melted, panfry each side of the sandwich until golden. Cut and serve with the remaining coriander chutney on the side for dipping!
Everyone has their own version of this. Packed with gooey-goodness you can use any combo of greens (or Green Goddess Sauce) that tickles your fancy to make this tasty toastie, but for extra crispiness pan-fry it with plant-based Nuttelex.
8 slices sliced- sourdough bread
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or your fave vegan take)
1 ripe avocado, smashed and seasoned with salt and pepper
1 cup baby spinach, leaves
1/2 cup micro green sprouts
Splash of olive oil for frying with the Nuttelex
1/2 cup Green Goddess Sauce- Blitz together 2-3 tablespoons mayo with 8-10 baby spinach leaves, 1/3 cup parsley leaves, 3 chives, 1/3 of a garlic clove and 1/2 an anchovy slither.
1. Butter 1 side of each piece of bread with Nuttelex.
2. In a small bowl gently combine without squashing too much, the shredded mozzarella, seasoned smashed avocado, and micro sprouts. Then add a spoonful of this mixture on 1 slice of each sandwich. Follow with baby spinach and a small dollop of green dressing and top with second piece of bread. Gently press to combine before adding to pan.
3. Heat a frying pan to medium-low heat with the remaining Nuttlex and a splash of olive oil. Add sandwich to pan when Nuttelex has melted then pan-fry (pressing down using a spatula) each side until crispy and golden and cheese has melted.
Dial up the flavour with this simple but tasty baby spinach, pepper, and two cheese combo toasted to perfection with plant-based Nuttelex.
2 slices of your favourite bread
2 slices of havarti cheese (or your fave vegan swap)
2 slices of cheddar cheese (or your fave vegan swap)
½ roasted red pepper (capsicum) sliced
8-10 leaves fresh baby spinach
olive oil -splash for frying with Nuttelex
1) Butter inside of bread of choice with Nuttelex then layer in your ingredients.
4) Heat pan with splash of olive oil and 1 tablespoon Nuttelex. when Nuttelex is melted in the pan, then add remaining Nuttelex to outside of your sandwich before frying gently until golden brown on both sides. Remove when cheese is melted.